Welcome to the Farm of the Future!
"Demonstrating how cropping systems will change by 2030."
About Farm of the Future
The "Farm of the Future" is a proving ground for evaluating future technologies and data driven cropping practices. This 15 acre field is located near the grounds of the Molly Caren Agricultural Center (where the annual Farm Science Review is held) in London, Ohio.
- Capture more value for farmers through the mitigation of soil compaction and improved soil health; sustainable cropping systems via reduced gross vehicle weights, improved carbon capture, and improved water management.
- Demonstrate how automation will be deployed for crop production.
- Plant by plant management of inputs to cropping systems.
- Improved timing, placement and efficacy of production inputs.
- Transition from monoculture to polyculture production systems.
Expected Farm Benefits
- Improved profitability
- Improved sustainability
- Improved soil health
- Improved water quality
Read More About Past and Current Implementations
2018 Implementation of the Farm of the Future
Smart Planter Features
- Seed Metering
- 20/20 SeedSense and Fieldview for data collection to cloud and near real-time decisions in the cab
- vDrive with vSet and mSet - electric drive and multi-hybrid
- Row Unit
- Harvest International LaserPro1 Row Units with Harvest International Toolbar
- DeltaForce - hydraulic downforce adjusts based on soil conditions
- SpeedTube - high speed planting
- CleanSweep - adjustable row cleaners
- Yetter drag chains
- Yetter poly spike closing wheels
- Yetter row cleaners
- Unverferth 500 Caddy
- Fertilizer Application
- 1st module variable rate 2x2x2, row by row control, Surefire Ag hydraulic pump
- 2nd module variable rate in furrow every two rows, Surefire Ag electric pump, FlowSense on every row
- Yetter 2x2x2
- Soil Sensing
- SmartFirmer every two rows - in-furrow soil sensing that may be implemented in future to control fertilizer and seeding rates
July 2018 Visual
2017 Implementation of the Farm of the Future
- Planted to 15 inch center soybeans and 30 inch corn at same time (strip intercropping)
- Planted on 4/18/2017
- In-furrow fertilizer on corn
- 140,000 seeds/ac
- Inside rows - 33,000 seeds/ac
- 2nd to outside rows - 39,600 seeds/ac
- Outside rows - 46,200 seeds/ac