Three Cover Crop experts, suppliers in Ohio, will keynote the agenda:
- David Brandt (Walnut Creek Seeds),
- Dwight Clary(Clary Farms LLC), and
- Cody Beacom(Bird Agronomics).
- Moderator of this Panel: Alan Sundermeier,OSU Extension, Wood County.
Questions and discussion.Bret Margraf, Seneca Conservation District, and Jan Layman, President of Ohio No-Till Council, will help lead this so everyone gets their questions/issues brought up. We’ll collect questions on 3x5 index cards also. We expect to have a lot of expertise in the audience, including other cover crop seed suppliers.
First, at 6:35: Weed controlis critical on Prevent Plant: Jeff Stachler, OSU Extension Auglaize County
Second, at 6:45: Fertility management, a whole different world: Joe Nester, Nester Ag Management
Third, at 6:55: Quick introductions of these resource folks:
Crop Insurance issues: Brad Wingfield, Wingfield Crop Insurance Service
- Rep from USDA-FSA: Anita Green,Auglaize County
- Rep from Dekalb Asgrow, Bayer: Brad Miller
- Rep from Stewart Seeds: Justin Petrosino
- Dealing with Stress:Sarah Noggle, OSU Extension, Paulding County
- Soil Health benefits: Jim Hoorman, USDA-NRCS
The FOCUSwill be on cover crop options:
- Do you want to graze or harvest forage? This can be done Sept 1.
- What will be your next cash crop?
- When can (or should) you plant certain cover crop mixes?
- What Cover Crop seeds are available? (Prices for several will rise.)
- Can leftover soybean seed be used?
- How much can you afford? Other than for grazing/forage, maybe $20/acre.
CCA credits:A sign-up sheet will be available for Crop Consultants. Credits will be: 1.5 hr. S&W; 0.5 hr. NM; and 0.5 hr. PM.
This program has multiple sponsors and supporters. Ohio No-Till Council, OSU Extension, SWCDs, USDA, Ohio Farm Bureau, Liberty Bank, Ohio Soybean Council, Ohio Corn&Wheat.
This program is FREE. No pre-registration needed.
Overnight room accommodations: The Inn at ONU (across the street from the McIntosh Center) has rooms. Single room rate is $119. Online: InnAtONU.com. Use code: July. Phone: 419-772-2500
- Summer Covers for Prevent Plant & Wheat Stubble
- Midwest Cover Crops Council
- Prevent Plant 2019 Cover Crop Worksheet
- AgCrops Newsletter
Delayed broadcast, online: The 2.5 hour program will be videotaped and available either later the same evening or the next morning. Ohio AgNet is doing the multi-camera broadcast, sponsored by Ohio Farm Bureau. Go to: ocj.com